Monday, March 10, 2008

It's a milk and cookies kind of night

Comfort. Delicious. Fulfilling. In more ways that one, this describes our night. Of course, milk and cookies are a treat. But, enjoying the night together is especially rewarding. We had "family home evening" tonight. The children take part in the planning process. And, infact each of us in charge of one aspect of the night. Avery planned the lesson. So cute. She thought about it all day. First, her idea was to talk about "what makes a nice family." But, ultimately settled on "love everyone." She had us write down special things that we love about each other. Then we shared out list. "Wow" everyone came up with some really great qualities. I might mention that Zachary didn't give us any grief, and gladly listed special qualities about his sisters. Posting this list will surely help me remember in the years to come the sweet words that were said tonight.

Zachary said," Mom is ...Gorgeous, kind, nice, pretty & generous. Ellie is pretty, when I look in her eyes I see hearts. She plays with me and is kind. Dad is nice and hard working for his family. Avery is adorable, kind, and has pretty eyes. "

Avery said, "Mom is sensitive, nice and sensible. Dad is so kind I can't believe it. He plays with me. He is my favorite guy in the world. Ellie is pretty and has a pretty smile. She makes me laugh. Zachary is kind, loves his "kiki" and GI Joes. And, now he loves school. Also, she said about herself...I am special because I have pretty clothes, and I'm always funny."

Ellie said, "Avery is special, she lets me play with her. My mom and dad are so helpful. I couldn't function (she mentioned liking this word choice) without them. Zach is perfect. I love him. He is sometimes mean but I manage. I absolutely love them all. I am glad we live together. They make my life perfect."

After the lesson we had our activity which was planned by Ellie. "Duck, Duck, Goose". We giggled and stumbled around the circle. Zachary was in charge of the treat which is his favorite part. Ohhh, warm cookies just out of the oven. Comfort, delicious and fulfilling...How sweet it is.


Notice the milk moustaches on the kids- this scored the biggest laugh of the night. They loved 'em!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

We just loved that blog page Laurie.

Your Family Night is very special and I believe it it that kind of training that makes you guys a wonderful group - (of course we are sort of biased). . . .

LOVE,
mom and dad

ps; we only check your blog ten hours per day - but FINALLY we beat Mia . . yea!

texasangie said...

What a great FHE! Such sweet words from everyone! Love the milk moustaches!

Mama Mia said...

Oh you got me Doug! Ha! Ha! What a great family night! I love all your families sweet comments to each other!