Friday, July 23, 2010

a hidden gem in downtown Omaha

A few weeks ago...before this unbearable heat we stumbled upon this park.  Freeedom Park.  Surprisingly enjoyable.  It was a simple park where World war 2 ships, mine sweepers, planes, submarines etc. are displayed.  The volunteers work hard to restore what they can and preserve the rest in it's natural state.  So the park has kept it's authenticity, rust, dust and all.  The big mine sweeper fighter ship also serves as a muesuem. We even scored ourselves an off duty, private tour of the big ship.  I don't know if I consider this a bonus or not.  The volunteer took her job very serious and had a passion.  But, with the close quarters in the ship and no air moving it made me claustrophobic.  (which I have felt more,  the older I get...another bonus)  But, Jeff loved it all.  And, I have to say it was really cool.  Retro cool. A hidden little gem in omaha.




2 comments:

Fujitales said...

This looks like a great park Yeah, Dax would be so into that, me, not so much.

You are finding time to blog, yay! Me, again, not so much.

I love the pic of Ellie hanging on the wing, so cute.

and i thought my word verification was oompa- loompa, as in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but really it's just unalimpa. Not nearly as funny.

doug said...

To me it looks like the ship hit high ground in a grassy park land! ZACHARY don't get into that heli-copter!! ELLIE STOP trying to pull that wing off!!! NO, NO AVERY, that's the throttle, you might take off!!! Now that's better just take the big wheel and steer that mine sweeper. . . ZEE, who are you shooting at in that machine gun? ELLIE! Get up outta there, who told you to "GO BELOW"

Gee, it's a good thing GIGI and PAPA couldn't make it to this family outing. . . . .