Tuesday, August 19, 2008

It's moments like this...

That make all the other parenting struggles worthwhile. Last night's Family Home Evening started out just like every other...a few "time outs", a few hurried, tense moments with the tone of "let's get on with this, already"and lots of chatting with no one settling down long enough to listen for the opening. Finally, we make it to the lesson. Jeff's turn. He prepares on the fly but always makes the best impression (I wish I had his gift of teaching.) Now, Zachary takes center stage for a moment to teach Avery something. Oh, No. He started in with his famous "plastic bag" object lesson, referring to the likeness of the Holy Ghost. It's a stretch but he came up with himself and he uses it in every lesson he gives and at some point in every family home evening. I start to giggle (I know, not very mature) But, then only moments later my heart begins to swell and I am so touched with the spirit. Now, tears. My sweet tender boy was teaching his little sister a lesson and in the meantime bearing his testimony to her. He spoke of the "indescribable and wonderful" feeling of coming out of the waters of baptism. He also began to tear up as he told her "it's hard to explain how great it felt to be baptized" He has something very special to share and he holds it dear to his heart.



So, as I watched my little boy bear his testimony to his family I was reminded of the countless hours that we as parents have literally forced our children into 3 hours of church each and every Sunday. It is for this very reason, that they develop personal testimonies of the Savior, that they know they are children of God and they are loved. It's moments like this that make all the other's worthwhile.

8 comments:

Jeanne said...

Oh! Laurie, As usual you make me cry.....how beautiful and he is such a special boy!! I don't know what else to say except Ilove you all and I think you are so special!! I know everything I say is so boring , but I think you and your family are the best ever!!!!! XO,MOm

doug said...

Well done Zachary Scott! One moment you are frustrating half of Omaha and the next second you are breaking everyone's heart. You indeed are a special boy and gifted with the spirt of Heavenly Father. Avery loves you as do ALL OF US! Gigi loves to talk to you and she thinks you're the greatest . . . Papa is VERY PROUD of you!

Mama Mia said...

How neat...I love moments like that...I need to incorporate the kids in the FHE more...thanks for the motivation to do better!

Kimberly and Jason Enlow said...

My heart is swelling now too! Zach is a very special boy. I remember crying when he bore his testimony in sacrament a while back. The power of his testimony is undeniable. It's also good to see that other families struggle with FHE like we do. We keep doing it because we know it is fortifying our home and children.

Fujitales said...

Wow, we want to come to your FHE, ours do not have any tender moments! All in good time...

texasangie said...

Simply beautiful!!

Amanda said...

What a sweet little boy! That is so great that he can talk about his baptism like that.

grandma said...

Zachary, we will never ever forget your baptism either. It was a special, special time-especially for grandpa. He felt so honored that you would ask him to baptize you. There was a special spirit there-one we will all remember. We love you-Miracle Boy!
Love G & g