Saturday, August 23, 2008

A day designed just for her

Today Ellie attended her first ever workshop for siblings of children with disabilities. This award winning nationally affiliated program is uniquely designed to fit the needs of these children. Often, they feel a very different yet real set of pressures and responsibilities that a "typical" peer or classmate may not understand. Ellie is the perfect age for this workshop. This program, entitled "Sibshops" will meet every other month and she is so excited! She loved every minute of it. Ellie understands Zachary's disability, she will go out of her way to help him, and is so patient with him. But, this can be hard work, especially for a 4th grader! She deserves some recognition. And this program offers the children just that. Or, at least an avenue to "vent" followed up with a pat on the back. Like I said, it's an award winning program, they have done their homework they know what these kids need and how to boost them up. All in all, it well, I think. Really, we as parents were encouraged not to ask to many questions (to preserve the "honesty"and "openness" of the group time.) Ouch! I don't like that one bit...I'm a detail girl. Ellie and I chit- chatted for a minute, I then asked if she was up for just a FEW questions ...to which she replied," no more questions!" So, as much as I'd like to give you more details, I'm trying to respect the wishes of all parties involved. But, I think Ellie's favorite part of the day was meeting a new friend, Olivia. She lives in the next neighborhood over. Looks like a playdate on Monday.

6 comments:

doug said...

Ellie is a champion no doubt. She will do WONDERFUL in this class as she does in real life = she already takes on the role of 'big sister' and protector of her twin brother Zach. She is to be commended for enthusiastically taking a class to do even better. LOVE, papa

Jeanne said...

Honey, I think this workshop is so good for Ellie....she is so kind and good to Zach and I think sometimes worries alot about him!!! Now she will learn how to vent and not carry all the responsibility on her tiny shoulders!!!She looked soooo grown up in that picture...Oh My! how I love that girl!!! and all the kids!!XO,Mom

Fujitales said...

Ellie is such a great big sister, and I'm so glad she'll find some other 'big sisters' out there to share with. What a great workshop.

Mama Mia said...

First of all love the pic! Love her cute "sporty" outfit! And lastly love that she had a Sibshop that focused on her! Everyone needs to be in the spotlight once in a while!

grandma said...

Ellie, you are a special sister and a great twin. You do help your brother. You are so kind and caring and it is not always easy to be that kind of a sister. We are so proud of you. We love you.

Sheri said...

That's so great that there's a program designed for all the Ellie's out there. Awesome. I'm so glad she enjoyed it so much!