Sunday, April 6, 2008

The simple pleasures of a 4 year old.



Last Friday Avery and I were walking into Target and I couldn't help but notice her excitement simply because it was raining and she needed to use her new umbrella. She carried her umbrella proudly and happily, even giving it an occasional twirl. She stepped in a few a puddles and smiled all the while. I looked down at her and wondered when do we as adults stop recognizing the small and simple pleasures in our life. A rainy day and accidentally stepping in puddles rarely brings a smile to my face. Yet watching her and hearing her little giggle made me appreciate just that...a mom and her daughter walking hand in hand, in the rain, happy to be together. Little children are our constant reminders to enjoy the beauty in all things around us.

One of my favorite things about Avery is her ability to find joy and happiness in exactly this, the small and simple things in life.

  • Avery loves our kitties. Last week I peeked in on her and she was reading Flower a story. She was petting Flower with one hand while turning the pages with the other. The simple story she was "reading" and the tender love she was showing was so precious to me.
  • Avery loves band aides, all kinds. She finds teeny tiny "owies" and covers them gently. At any given time you will find several band aides on Avery.
  • Avery loves to hop, skip and jump all over. Thursday, as we left preschool she did the "hopscotch jump" all the way out the door and across the parking lot. Only a 4 year old.
  • Avery loves her car seat. I think it brings her comfort. She happily gets in her carseat everyday. She often falls asleep while in the car and in her seat. I love to look back in the rear view mirror and see her resting peacefully.
  • I love the confidence that comes with being a 4 year old. Yesterday, Avery said "mom, I am so pretty" She loves her hair and her freckles. She describes her hair as "honey colored" and is thrilled it's growing longer. She also loves to look at her freckles in the mirror. One morning after not feeling well and rather pale, she cried to me because she thought her freckles were fading. Ahh, such innocent confidence.
  • A few things that bring an immediate giggle to Avery are: Curious George, milk, buttered noodles, Lucy, lip gloss, the colors pink& purple, flipflops, her blankets & webkins, barbie.com,all things-Daddy, Ellie, her backpack, Princess Ariel undies, her purple crocs, of course...her kitties. And, by giggle I mean a true laugh: it is as if her excitement can not be contained. Infact, she has even been known to giggle just at the though of going to bed. Her giggle is contagious.

8 comments:

Mama Mia said...

So darling...I love that she was worried her freckles were fading! I feel bad because Brighton wanted a new umbrella and we didn't have time to get one!

Jen Giorgis said...

So sweet. I agree that her laugh is quite contagious. I loved being her primary teacher and being able to always feel of her sweet gentle spirit.

Jeanne said...

Honey, your blog about Avery was so sweet and what a precious picture... I can't wait to see the children and take Avery to our special place for lunch!!! Love to all, Mom

texasangie said...

Avery is darling!! We love freckles in our family too! How fun to be 4!

Unknown said...

We love 4 year olds - or 3 1/2 year olds around here. So cute - I wish my life was that simple...

Breya

Anonymous said...

Avery, you are the sweetest princess there is. I am so glad you take such good care of "our" kittens. The cute freckles you have come from your dad, you know. I hope you have them forever. We love you.
Love, Grandma

THE BESSE BUNCH said...

AVERY IS SUCH A LITTLE CUTIE!!! YOUR BLOG IS SO MUCH FUN!!!! YOU HAVE A GREAT FAMILY!!!! WE LOVE BEING AVERY'S PRIMARY TEACHER!!! SHE IS SO FUN!!

doug said...

LAUR: Your stories are always so precious! You get to live out your second childhood in AVERY!

Remember we have an old pic of you with a totally YELLOW rainsuit, boots and umbrella - so Avery comes by loving the rain naturally!

AVERY! YOU ARE SO PRETTY! I remember when I was four (4) - - (I was pretty too!) Now of course I'm cruizin' towards (74) and the little simple things in life are becomming important again! (just like AVERY!)

Grandma is wrong, Avery's freckles came from PAPA!

LOVE YOU!

gigi and papa