Thursday, April 17, 2008

If they could see 'em now...

Zachary and Ellie, one month old. Nine years ago today the doctors at Primary Children's Hospital gravely explained the miracle it would take to see our twins survive. Being 23 weeks gestation the odds were overwhelmingly against them. I believe in miracles. Survive and thrive is exactly what our tiny babies did. Zachary and Ellie beat all odds. Overcoming obstacles seems to be the story of their lives. And, their story starts April 17th in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. After spending 4 1/2 months at PCMC, many memories fill my mind, most of them terrifying but all of them gratifying. I distinctly remember the loud beeps of the heart monitor, and the soft ticking of the ventilator. I will never forget the smell of our babies. It was not the precious aroma of newborn skin, rather a distinct smell of sterile tape and soap. Our babies were in the 24 hour care of perfect strangers. The nurses became our lifeline to the children. I remember the tender care of some nurses and the harsh reality of others. More than once we sat waving goodbye with tears in our eyes, as our tiny ones were being wheeled into surgery. This image is embedded in my memory forever. I believe in miracles. I believe in the love our Heavenly Father has for each one of us. I know with Him all things are possible. Our feisty, surviving 1 pound babies are a constant reminder that we all have a special plan here on earth. We are a family forever and for this I am very thankful.




If they,(doctors & nurses) could see 'em now... They would see that Ellie is a beautiful young lady who loves her twin. She is nurturing, loving, and loyal. Sweet Ellie is bright,vibrant, fun and very giggly. She is diligent in her efforts. Ellie loves to play tennis, computer games and reading. She is faithful and has an obedient heart. We love this precious soul.




Would they recognize Zachary, our handsome,strong willed, and grown-up son. Zachary is feisty, strong willed, and independent. He is determined, brave and, truthful. Zachary loves to play golf, watch t.v and has many collections. Zachary is the ultimate snuggler. He is funny, silly, and stylish. Our lovable Zachary with his sensitive heart brings joy to us each day.





Happy Birthday to Zachary and Ellie. May this 9th year bring many special wishes and blessings your way. We love you both. Love, Mom and Dad.



9 comments:

doug said...

LAUR: Mom and Dad think that this blog page was just way too close to home for us! We were there, we were crying, and we were praying right along with Grandma and Grandpa day in and day out as we experienced those first two years of miracles in the twin's lives.

Thanks for making this page of wonderful memories.

LOVE, Gigi and Papa

Mama Mia said...

I am crying right now and so mad I didn't check the blog yeasterday! Sorry! These photos are amazing! What a journey...Hope they had a wonderful day! They are so special!

Kimberly and Jason Enlow said...

Your kids are amazing! We feel so blessed to know them and have them as friends for our boys. I only wish we could have known you then to have prayed, cried, and served to help you. You are both such amazing parents and I know the Lord chose you to be their parents because you are both that amazing too! We are so happy to be part of your journey here in Omaha.

texasangie said...

Ok, I made my husband come in to see your post and he got all choked up!! Said it was just so emotional for him! I had to hurry to the bottom pictures so he could stop crying! Your kids are truly miracles!!! I know what you mean about the nurses in the nicu--they were so great and would call us in the middle of the night to give us updates and progress on our girls. Words just cannot express how "awed" I am with Zachary and Ellie, as well as you and your husband! Amazing!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! So many memories. Laurie, thank you for the blog page. It brought back to many memories. We have never said soooooooooooooooo many prayers. We thought it would get easier as the days and weeks went by. So many tears, so many happy times. Watching them be disconnected the first time for the life flight- holding our breath, praying and praying. The prayers during the 1st surgery when they were one day old. Sitting by their beds day after day. Praying as the beeps went off, not really knowing what they really meant. Then too, the joy of holding them for the first time and watching their mom and dad with a smile that wouldn't quite.
They got bigger and bigger and then came home. Then momths later off all the tubes. Yeah! Then the worry if Zach would ever walk.
All of our prayers were answered, and so much more, So many miracles. So many angels watching over them and now look at them. 9 years old and so many more precious memories we have shared. ZACH AND ELLIE thanks for the precious, precious memories. We love you more than all the money in the whole world. We hope to spend many more birthdays with you and your family and Papa and Gigi. FUN, FUN TIMES.
LOVE, Grandma and Grandpa XOXOXOXOXOXO

Jeanne said...

What can I say!I love you and your beautiful family more than anything in the world.... I can't even put in words what it was like when the twins were born!! I have never been so scared in my life!!! The twins and Avery are so special and precious to me I can't get enough of them ever!!! Love you all soooooooo much! Love, Mom

Jen Giorgis said...

So precious!!! What a gift we are given to be the earthly parents of these beautiful children of God. I can only imagine what you went through those first few years. I can't believe how unbelieveably tiny they were. Thank you so much for that wonderful post. For the reminder of how very precious life is. Tell Zach and Ellie Happy belated Birthday from me. We are loving getting to know them!

Cameron and Kelly said...

Hey Laurie!
Awesome blog! I can't believe they are 9. They are so getting so big and Avery is too!
We may be driving through Omaha next month. We would love to get together for dinner. Cam will call Jeff soon.

Fujitales said...

Because of your children, I believe in miracles. They truly inspire me, happy birthday Ellie and Z. Here's to you and a long healthy, many more birthdays to come. We love you.