Thursday, April 24, 2008

She did it!

Last month Ellie came home from activity days and said "Mckenna and I volunteered to sing at the Mother Daughter banquet." "You what, I said?" Is this the same little girl who almost didn't get baptized because she was so shy with all the people watching? Ellie agreed to sing a duet, one verse of "I am a Child of God" with Mckenna. She practiced many times throughout the week. Only one time did she ask me if she could cancel and stay home. I explained she had made a commitment, she needed to honor it, and she could not back out. "Yes, you will be nervous, but you can do it!" After school one day Mckenna's sister played the piano and helped the girls practice, 102 times exactly claims Ellie. Saturday morning, mother and daughter head off to the banquet and to a new challenge. Ellie and Mckenna's names are announced and sure enough my little girl heads up to the front! She's gonna do it! She did it! The girls sang beautifully! I was so proud. I love that Ellie has the activity days program, she has wonderful leaders that give her many opportunities to learn and grow. She is certainly growing up, I am so proud of the young lady she is becoming.

Ellie and McKenna singing "I am a Child of God" The girls also had a chance to showcase their artwork. Mckenna, Ellie & Katie

4 comments:

Jeanne said...

Iam so proud of Ellie..... I wish I could of seen her!!!She certainly is growing up and becoming a beautiful young lady inside and out!!! I love her so much for being the wonderful sister that she is and the wonderful little girl that she is! XO,Gigi

Mama Mia said...

Wow that is sooooo brave...it looks like a great Mother Daughter Banquet!

texasangie said...

What a brave girl, and says a lot about her character for her to honor her commitment! Way to go!!

doug said...

I spoke with Ellie and congratulated her after hearing that her teacher was very moved that a formerly embarrassed girl could actually get up in front of the whole crowd and sing a duet!

I went on to say, "and now that you've started you'll go on to sing wonderful solos and be a famous singer!"

Ellie's response broke me up, she said, "let's not go overboard - shall we?"