Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Good Grief...

Last night was a rough night. Jeff was in Sioux City for a dinner with a Doctor. It started only minutes after tucking the children into bed. I was down stairs finishing the dishes and watching a little bit of T.V when I heard a loud "thud". It sounded like a child fell out of bed, but I became alarmed when I heard no crying. I ran up the stairs at lighting speed only to find Zachary laying on the floor in the hall having a seizure. I was scared. This seizure appeared to be different than the others we have seen. It seemed more involved and severe. Typically, Zachary is coherent during the first minutes of his seizures but this time he was completely "out of it" from the moment I reached him. I did not know if the seizure came first or the fall came first, but either scenario frightened me. I decided to call 911. Ellie and I said a prayer together and within minutes his seizure stopped. Six firefighters and paramedics showed up at our door quickly after placing the call. I was comforted and felt at peace to have them there. Zach was sleeping by this time, and I knew there was no need to transport him to the hospital. They took his vitals, asked a few questions and were on their way. Jeff had called Bruce to stop over and check on us. We didn't end up needing his help but it sure was nice to see a friendly face among the sea of rescue workers. Ellie was especially thankful to see him, he brought a smile to her face and she wiped away her tears. Seizures have become a part of our life. We know how to treat them, watch for them, and what the side effects look like. Jeff and I are a good team-we each have a role and we respond quickly to one another in the event of a seizure. Last night, I was on my own. Well, I had Ellie with me but she was crying in my lap. It's so important we don't neglect her fears and needs when so much of our energy is focused on Zachary. She is a special girl with a very sensitive heart. With Zachary snoozing in bed, Ellie and I went in to snuggle in our bed and wait for Jeff to come home. I treasure that time with Ellie because it's one time I can count on her chatting about the important things in 3rd grade. I learned that Spencer has a webkins named Oreo. She really loves her "agenda book" given out in class. She and the other girls call "Mckenna", Kenna as a nick name. And she couldn't wait to get back to school and broadcast the news that her mom called 911 and 6 firefighters showed last night. These are the little things that make life interesting and unique . And, most definitely the things that make parenthood so rewarding. That and three precious sleeping children.
"Sweet dreams, my little ones. "

3 comments:

Mama Mia said...

We are so glad Jeff called Bruce! You handled everything so well! I think I would be in a panic! I hope Zach is doing better. What a special time with Ellie! She is a sweetie pie. She needs to come and play with Brighton soon! Cute pictures 3 in a row! Aren't kids beautiful when they are sleeping!

Fujitales said...

I'm so sad you have to deal with that as part of your life, but you are so calm under pressure - I'd be a wreck! Hope all is well with Zach - he's such a trooper. I hope he knows how lucky he is to have Ellie as a sister - what a sweet girl.

Unknown said...

I believe that Heavenly Father watches closely over your family Laurie. I feel strongly that He will protect you, Jeff and your children and keep an eye out for Zachary's special needs. I am also confident He will never allow more of these tougher challenges than you can overcome with your Faith in His good graces.

Please reassure Ellie that she and Avery are so very special to love and care so much about their brother as they do.

Gigi and Papa could not have ever overcome the hurdles that you and Jeff have already accomplished through all of the difficulties (miracles) that you have survived. We must remain grateful and thankful for their wonderful lives.

A special thanks from Papa to Bruce for coming over to help out, he and Mia are true friends.

Love, Papa

ps, hey! Please do not take any FLASH pictures of me while sleeping, first I would wake up and then I would NOT like how ugly I looked. But the kids look tremendous!