Sunday, August 19, 2007

Our little boy is growing up









This is my first clue, while at his open house ( special ed. dept) and in the company of his teachers I mistakenly called him Zachy. He very quietly but sternly asked me not to call him that at school. My little "Zachy," is to big to be called such a baby name at least in the presence of school mates. I knew the day would come- just not so soon. I love "Zachy" we took to that name in the hospital, and clearly it has stuck for years. Clue #2, I was singing a Hannah Montanna song (o.k, so I'm not cool anymore...) in public and Zachary told me it was embarrassing him. My first experience with embarrassing the kids. I'm afraid many more years will follow. Clue #3 He has the darn cutest front tooth peeking out-Finally! The cute tooth was my inspiration for the below photos. Not only is he growing up- but, look what a smiley guy he is lately. Those of you that know and love Zach know how difficult it is to get him to smile for the camera. So, you see those photos with a smiling Zach that is my clue #4. He has outgrown that dreadful phase where he frowned in every picture. Clue #5, I have seen so much improvement in his behavior this summer. He has become very independent, learned how to swim this summer, and he is understanding his limitations without so much frustration. We are on the road to a mature young man. Zachary and I also had a very important talk this past week. I touched on the subject of his cerebral palsy and why things are so difficult for him and not Ellie. He asked a lot of appropriate questions. He wondered "why." It broke my heart to have this conversation with him but we know it is imperative. Jeff followed up later that evening with a similar discussion just a different take on it. He adds humor and handles everything so well. Zach is beginning to understand- yet he knows his great potential. We stress the importance for him to set goals and that anything is possible. Immediately following our discussion Zach announced his desire to become an athlete and compete in the special Olympics. I researched it online and sent away for some information. Look out Omaha, here comes Zach! Zachary continues to light up our lives with the sweet sentiments he says daily. I wish everyone could wake up in the morning with a little whisper " I love you just the way you are, mom" like I did yesterday.

4 comments:

Mama Mia said...

Oh Laurie! I would love to wake up to "sweet nothings" whispered in my ear! What a cute smile! Go Zach we are your #1 supporters!

Gigi said...

Oh Honey! I cried when I read your latest blog! Zach certainly is growing up and he is making such good decisions lately and I love that and oh how I love that big tooth that is peeking through! Finally!He is so handsome in the pictires and looks just like a Gap model! I miss you all so much and love you tons,Mom ps. you certainly are so lucky to have Zach, Ellie and Avie whisper sweet nothing in your ear!

Unknown said...

STOP RIGHT NOW!
ENOUGH OF THIS TALK !
I DO NOT want to hear about Zachary "growing up, being embarrassed, independent, swimmer, mature young man, Rather, I'd like him to remain as our little "snuggle bunny" for Gigi and Papa to hold and cuddle with while he goes to sleep.

I want to volunteer to fight all of his battles, but I know that he has to grow and succeed on his own. Zachary should know that his CP is quite mild in comparison to some children who are severely disabled. I think Zach is blessed with his love of family, AND his tremendous sense of humor, he could be a caring and giving helper with other 'special needs' children. In this way, Zee could be a true inspiration and a real leader in showing other children how well he has done. As he comes to understand his own CP, Maybe he will get a calling at some point to help those who are less advantaged.

Of course, ALL 6 of my grandchildren are special but there is a soft spot in my heart for this boy.

DO NOT WRITE any more tear jerkers LAURIE!
LOVE, papa

Fujitales said...

_Z is getting so big! I feel like they've grown up without us! Could he be any cuter with that big toothless grin?! What a champ, we'll come see him win his gold medal!

B