Sunday, December 19, 2010

The annual hunting trip with an invited guest.


Every year the big boys go on a pheasent hunting trip to Kansas.  This year they invited their little boys to join them.  Father/ Sons Hunting trip.  I was nervous about the trip. How do I let go of the fear?  Guns. Freezing cold weather.  Tough physical walking conditions.  Zach's not prepared.  How will he keep up?  Will he be happy?    I did know,  from the bottom of my heart,  that Jeff would have Zach's best interest in mind at all times.  I knew Zach would be safe with his Dad by his side.  He would be in good hands.   With that thought I kissed my boys and sent them off to Kansas with 6 other friends.  I had no idea what fun was in store for them.  They walked many fields fields.  Yes, Zach got tired.  But, he hung in there like a champ.  With Jeff's help, hand over hand he had the chance to shoot a gun..  He was tough when he felt the kickback of the gun on his shoulder. His favorite part was holding the birds, for he could look up close and examine the colors.  The boys (men included) ate nothing but junk food to the point of tummy aches.  Beef jerky was a main stable.  Potty humor took over all converstation.  The little boys were happy to just hang out and  "talk the talk" hunting style.

  With all the excitement and physical exertion, the first night away Zach had a seizure.  When he awoke after the medicine wore off, Jeff gave him the option to just hang out together or walk the fields again.  Zach didn't hestitate...he wanted to go out again.  This hunting thing...it's in his blood.  He loves it. 

I treasure this photo.  This is how I will forever remember Zachary.  Snuggling.  With Kiki.  There is nothing more precious or a better way to spend time than snuggling with Zach. It's true. 
This hunting trip brought so much happiness to Zach.  For him, it was perfect.  So far in his 11 years, this was it, his favorite time spent.  He loves his daddy and being "one of the boys"  And, with that being said. I will take my fear and throw it away.  It was worth every moment.   So really, it was happiness for all of us.


0 comments: