Thursday, June 12, 2008

Better Safe than Sorry

Last night at 7:15 the tornado siren sounded and the kids and I went straight to the basement. We have had some very severe weather as of late, and I wasn't about to take any chances. So, all 4 of us settled in under the stairs in the "clubhouse" for a long 2 hour scare. I grabbed the flashlights, a portable radio, pillows, blankets and we were nestled in safety. There were plenty of tornado's touching down all around us, but, thankfully our little town (Elkhorn) was spared. Jeff was out of town and that frightened the wee ones...let's face it, it added to my stress as well. However, we said a prayer and talked to Dad during most of the extreme moments. Jeff told each of the kids that he built the basement with "Tornado proff" nails and wood and that seemed to do the trick. Hook line and sinker, all 3 felt safe and secure knowing their dad had taken care of every detail. I'm sad and my heart aches for the families of the boys at the scout camp (only 45 min for Omaha.) I have heard what heroic scouts they were...their mama's must be proud.




Is it weird that I grabbed my camera? The truth is it was sitting on the counter just begging me to take it and document our cushy, cozy, and comfortable clubhouse. This is what memories are made of.


5 comments:

texasangie said...

So glad you are all safe!! Nice to have a basement--we have to go in the bathroom or closet when the sirens go off.

Cameron and Kelly said...

Glad you all are safe! I was totally thinking about you when I heard the news this morning.

Laurie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mama Mia said...

So sweet! Thank you sooooo much for coming tonight! It meant so much to Brighton and I! That is a true friend that battles the traffic and drives to Iowa!

Fujitales said...

So glad you were all safe! Even though I wouldn't pick it - what a fun memory of nestling in the basement together. I'm not sure our basement would be considered a 'safe-zone' in it's current state. Consider yourself lucky!