Monday, August 9, 2010

This never gets easier

Our summer didn't go by without a hitch. Zachary spent 2 days in Childrens Hospital. It's not easy to admit your child to the hospital. Even if you've done it many times before. The signs were written on the wall that he was having shunt problems. This time he got violently sick very quick. He started out with a mere headache, then some vomit. Next thing we knew he was in excruciating pain. Pain so severe that only morphine mixed with lortab could relieve the pressure. Every hour on the hour he woke up writhing in agony. Next dose, please. The doctors decided to tap the shunt in hopes for answers, and information as to what the shunt was doing. Fortunately, the tap flushed enough fluid through the tubing to unblock it. Within 6 hours, he was back to normal. Fiesty and without pain. We avoided the need for a full surgery. Zach is a soldier. He carries on. He accepts his lot in life and handles his challenges without question. He was so sick lying in that hospital bed and never once complained about the situation. He was polite. He prayed and asked for strength and health. And, never doubted. We can all learn from this faithful boy.


Do you see what I see?  A sister that deeply loves her brother.  Always helping and caring for him.
I just couldn't resist taking this shot.  It's just to cute to pass up.  Zach may not think so.

the girls brought us some cards and pictures to brighten the room and Zach's smile
the first time he was up and around moving.

Hip Hip Hooray, no surgery for Zach.  We were jumping for joy that Zach was ok.

6 comments:

Jeanne said...

Honey, I was sooooo happy that Zach didn't have to have any surgery this time.....Yeah!!!!! I was all set to fly to Omaha and help out.....I miss seeing the kids but I will see them soon!!!!!!Have fun in Cali!!!!! Love your family tons, XO,Mom

Sheri said...

Zach's testimony in church was amazing - so simple and to the point and Kevin H. was right - it really made an impact. So glad he's feeling better.

Fujitales said...

Yay, no surgery! I know you think Z is the trooper, but I'm here to tell you, being parents of sick kids makes you guys the troopers too!

Hang in there. You're doing a great job.

danandcami said...

Laurie as a mother who has a daughter with health issues I do understand how we can admire our children and their strength. I am so glad that Zach is ok. I admire you and your family as well. I know he is so grateful for the support that ALL of you give him.

Brezack Family said...

My favorite testimony ever:
"I wasn't here last week."
"My shunt was plugged"
"My Dad gave me a blessing....
Love you Zach!

Trinity said...

So glad he was/is okay; that little boy just makes you smile when you see him!