Thursday, August 26, 2010

They went ahead and did it anyway...

I didn't want to send my first born babies to middle school.   How could it be time?  I didn't want them to grow up.  Against my sincere wishes, they did it anyway! The kids started school Thurs, Aug 19th.   The twins, middle school and Avery first grade at a new school.  A year for big changes.  And, boy were they happy about it. Sitting around the morning breakfast table we talked about "first day jitters". They all had them. But, mostly they were just plain eager to go. Happy to start their new year and experiences. As for the middle schoolers...lockers are the big thing. Ellie has been planning her locker all summer. Shelves, mirror, white board, markers, and magnets galore.  Luckily, we had a small window of time to go up to the school and practice the combination. It's tricky, ya know. Avery was looking forward to her new school with the giant Mac computers for each student. YOWZA. It made me kinda jealous, too. The new school is beautiful and full of fun equipment which helps soften the blow of leaving our beloved Fireridge.

Since our summer came crashing to a halt as we returned home from our last vacation only days before school , we were not quite prepared.  We still had supplies to get, school clothes to shop for, shoes to try on & backbacks to purchase all in one day. I felt rushed, defintley not the way   I like to prepare for back to school. But, in the end it all worked out and they were just as ready as if we spent weeks preparing.

Happy to report, Middle school was everything Ellie had hoped for. The smile that stretches across her face says it all. She loves it.   Zach seems to be doing well also. Except for his occasional "emabarassing mom" he is transitioning well.

I have to say...seeing such happy middle schoolers helped with my transition as well. Middle school is ok. I am doing fine, thank you.


Here are some of the "classic" first day photos. 

I am lucky to have 2 girls that love the camera.  These girls have evolved from "pouty" camera face to "pose and smile" at every opportunity. 

Zachary...not so much.  He is less than thrilled each and every time he sees the camera.  Still a handsome boy though.
a little peaksie at the new backbacks.
Zachary was more excited about his purple shoes than his backback.  This is for Zach.
And this one is for Ellie.
  The locker in all it's glory.

3 comments:

Fujitales said...

Dax was scrolling through your blog the other night and said to me, "so this is what I have to look forward to for my daughter, denim mini skirts and belly shirts?" Since when does he notice fashion?

I love Avery's new hair cut! I can't believe summer is over... where did the time fly? It was Livi's first day of first grade today, i bawled like a baby... of course.

Laurie said...

Ah, good grief...ellie is not allowed to wear belly shirts! however, when you are as tall as she is...your shirts are not always as long as your mom would like. And, they shrink after one washing. hence, the brown shirt in the previous post. take note...that shirt is now (and has been) in the goodwill bag, much to her dismay. ha.

the modesty thing is a constant battle in our home. Mom, Dad and Ellie disagree a lot!

doug said...

Dear Laur: I remember my first day of school too, it was somewhere around .. . . . . 1893.

LOVE,

papa