Thursday, December 18, 2008

Look who's done with his Christmas shopping

Each year Zachary gets invited to attend a shopping event in Omaha for blind or visually impaired children. Each child is given $100 (donated to the organization) and a shopping buddy. The idea for the party is to give children the independence of shopping alone for family members. The shopping buddy is usually a high school student who volunteers time. This year Zachary made a special request (to the President of the organization) for a girl shopping buddy. Prince charming likes to sweet talk the ladies! The kids shop, wrap the gifts, eat pizza and visit with Santa. We are asked to send him with a list of "wishes" and sizes for each family member. But, ultimately Zach gets to decide and purchase the perfect gift for each one of us. He takes great pride in his presents. Last year he got me a scarf and he still pleads with me daily to wear it each time I leave the house. He loves it and so do I. This year our gifts are sitting under the tree just waiting for Christmas day. A child's "hand picked" present is always my favorite. Although, I know nothing wrapped in the brightly colored paper will mean more to me than the gift of this organization, N.F.V.I.C. We are so thankful to them. This particular organization provides many social and recreational opportunities for the families they serve. They lighten the burden of many by bringing smiles to the children they reach out to. Thank you, N.F.V.I.C.

5 comments:

Jeanne said...

Hey honey, that is sooo nice of that organization to take the kids shopping and give them 100.00 dollars.... the volunteers are awesome!!!!! Zachy looks very grown-up shopping with his helper!!!!XO, Mom

texasangie said...

Oh, what a special activity! I love it! I love the gifts the children choose the best too!

jennie said...

OK, how cute is that??? That is so neat. You will have to let us know what Zachary picked out.

Fujitales said...

So cute - I'll sent my wish list next year! I haven't been on your blog in awhile. I think the guilt of my own failing blog keeps me away. Avey's birthday looked darling, especially the favors, wish our girls lived closer, i know they'd be best friends!

doug said...

WAY TO GO ZEE MAN: We always like the special things you do. Just when we least expect it, your mind thinks up some generous thing to do for someone else. . .love, papa