Wednesday, November 19, 2008

He hears us and answers.

At the end of the school year we prayed and fasted for Zachary. This was not our typical fast for Z, as it did not involve any of the medical or health issues that usually plaque him. He was healthy. But he was stubborn. And his stubborn nature was interfering with his ability to learn. School is much harder for this little guy than your average 9 year old. To be successful he needs all the elements to fall into place. Great special ed team. Check. Wonderful and (funny) aides. Check. Utilize the resources of our fabulous school district. Check. A loaded I.E.P. Check. Continuous work at home. Now, here's where the problem lies. Nightly, when we would practice reading... we'd encounter a battle, followed by an argument, topped off with an angry pout! Not your ordinary fit, but a struggle to defy all odds. Our efforts proved fruitless. So we prayed. We prayed that Zach would take an interest in his studies in school and ultimately read. We prayed that Zach would actively participate in the learning process. Yes, it's hard. Yes, he can do it. Especially with the Lord's help on our side. We believe in that.


Fast forward a couple of months, middle of the 1st semester in 4th grade...this kiddo is interested, he's proud, and he desires to learn!!!!!! Science and social studies are his favorite subjects. He is in the regular classroom during this time. Last week he took his first science test, "sound" and the functions of the inner ear. We studied. He memorized. He scored a whopping 17/20 with + 8 bonus points. Hip, Hip Hooray. After school, he walked through the doors, grabbed his backpack, pulled out the "golden" test and proudly displayed his score. Did I get an A? I'll never forget his sweet expression. Priceless. Heavenly Father heard our prayer. He answered, just as he does each and every one. I've prayed for miracles...to spare the life of one pound babies. I've prayed for tranquility and that was answered in the form of a calm 3rd child. And, this prayer for a "change of heart in my mighty 4th grader" is no less favored in His eyes. Tonight, a prayer for gratitude.


Look at these masterpieces that have adorned the walls our home. I don't keep their projects up for very long, rather safely tuck them away in a binder, but we all enjoy the moment of "spotlight."

12 comments:

texasangie said...

This is such a beautiful post! Thanks so much for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Your are an amazing mother, parent, friend and example. Love being inspired by your blog. Zack is so smart, what a great brother and son, that sweet boy is!

. said...

Oh Laurie, you brought tears to my eyes. It's nice to remember that no prayer goes unanswered! Way to go Zach!

Julie said...

What a sweet post. I have a child in 3rd grade who is struggling..and we pray everyday for him...your story gives me hope that he too will be like Zach and LOVE school and learning. Miracles happen everday! Thanks for sharing.

Jen Giorgis said...

You are truly an example to me. I am so greatful for you strength and testimony Laurie. What a wonderful update. Way to go Zach! Keep up the awesome work!

Jeanne said...

Oh Honey, That was so beautiful and it made me cry!!!! I'm soooo proud of Zachary....he is so smart and such a great little boy!!! I love you all sooo much!!! XO, Gigi

doug said...

Thanks for reminding us of the power of prayers Laurie. I remember our fast for Zach to finally WANT to READ and lose his stubborness! It worked! I predict Zachary will continue to read and do better and better in school. I remember another prayer to Heavenly Father and that was way back when you had NO BOYFRIEND and I prayed for you! Of course HE answered and we got JEFFREY!

Gee, I had no idea HE would give us the EXTRA LARGE variety! . . . (tee hee)

LOVE,
papa

Sheri said...

I'm tearing up - I can't see the keyboard. What a great story - thanks for sharing!!!

Mama Mia said...

Yeah for Zach. What a great example of prayer for all of us. You are getting so fancy in your photos...I love it and wish I knew how! :)

RobW said...

congrats Z man !! love science !! good job and your Uncle Robby is so proud of you as usual. Im still waiting to buy my black high tops like you have !!

jennie said...

Laurie, I just think you are so great. That post got me teary eyed. That Zach is a cutie!! I am so pround of him!!

Fujitales said...

It's all been said... but what a miracle every day. We all have prayers of gratitude to give. Keep it up Zach - we love you too!