Friday, February 15, 2008

we're off to Molokini for some snorkeling

Aboard the "Maui Pride" for an afternoon boat and snorkeling trip


I was most looking forward to our boat trip out to Molokini crater to go snorkeling! I wanted the kids to see the whales out in the middle of the ocean. As a child, I have vivid memories of going to Hawaii and seeing the whales. I wanted the same for my children. Our boat ride didn't disappoint...we saw so many. Infact, we saw a baby whale jump out right in front of the boat. They were so big, & close that even Zach could see them. Truly spectacular! It was hard to capture them on film but I manage to get a few pic's. Enjoy the whales.
Ellie was the first one ready with her snorkel gear on. She surprised us when she eagerly jumped right in the ocean and started snorkeling. She and Bruce went way out to a reef to see all the different kinds of fish. Not as much luck with Zachary and Avery. They both inhaled water right away and came back to the boat. It's hard for the kids to coordinate the mask, and snorkel and especially with the ocean waves knocking into them. I thought my last experience (face to face a giant eel) snorkeling would be my last. But, I tried again and really enjoyed it this time. We saw some beautiful fish, schools of them and a few very large fish. It's so calm and peaceful underwater.
Back on board, we had a BBQ lunch. It was mighty tasty... yummy!


After a full day on the water and in the sun... our little angel fell asleep on the way back to shore.

2 comments:

Mama Mia said...

Love your pics! Now that is talent to catch those whale shots!

Gigi said...

What great pictures!! I loved the pictures of the whales!! Avery does look like an angel sleeping on the boat!! All the sunshine and water tires a little girl out!! I am so proud of Ell's for snorkeling!! How fun!! Love, Mom