Thursday, October 29, 2009

Let's talk about outdoor ed

Earlier in the month the twins went on a school overnight trip. First time ever to sleep away from home. With loads of excitement, the kids prepared for this trip several weeks beforehand. There were awesome activities in store for them, zip line, canoeing, archery, fossil dig, trust course: both low and high (yikes) They stay overnight in cabins with friends, eat meals together and spend time bonding as 5th graders! At first, I have to admit I was nervous to have Zachary in the care of someone else all night long. Mainly, because his seizures typically occur in the evening while he is asleep. I was worried he would be scared without us to tend to him. I was worried about the proper care and complications. I guess I wasn't the only one... as it turns out the Fire Ridge staff was nervous too. So, they came up with a plan that would suit us just fine. They invited Jeff to come along and supervise the boys cabin. Yes! What a plan. Now, I was really excited to have them go to camp.

As you well know, they couldn't of picked a better "camper" to lead the troops. Jeff loves to be with children (especially his own). Games, funny stories, and a bunch of boys laughing at his jokes... is right up his alley. He prepared a funny story to tell by the campfire. He prepared a rockin' song to sing as a group. He prepared a bag of treats to distribute to the lucky boys who had him as a leader. He wasn't prepared to be swept off his feet by the kindness of the boys as they interacted with Zach. He mentioned what genuine and sweet gestures he witnessed as the boys were grouped together. Same with the girls. Although, he didn't spend much time with them he couldn't help but peak on Elle various times through the night. She was always with a group of giggling girls. Wild, loud, and happy...just as girls do. I was pleased to hear from her cabin leader what a "delightful and polite" young lady she is. Thank you, Mrs Campell.
a "pink" group picture. Looks like someone didn't like wearing his hat....
the girls gathered in the morning bursting with jitters and excitement before they boarded the bus.

Ellie and Mckenna in the lodge before the campfire.Zach and some buddies from his group

5 comments:

Jeanne said...

Yea!!! I love Fire Ridge and the teachers and the kids are the best!!!!Cute pics of the twins!!!! I sure miss my grandchildren!!!! Happy Halloween XXX, Gigi

doug said...

WOW looks like it was a great time for all - - especially the twins. Glad you took time to write it up LAUR, now DAX won't have to bug you to get another TIMELY post up on your blog. I will say it is discouraging to compare oneself to Jeffrey Scott and the way he likes to be with the kids. . . he certainly is a tremendous TEACHER, how can anyone compare with that?
LOVE, papa

doug said...

I think I meant how can anyone COMPETE with that?

Rebekah said...

I can imagine how much fun those boys had with Jeff as their leader. He really does have a way with kids and the relationship that Jeff and Zach have is So special!!!
I am so glad that your kids got to go and that you were able to sleep peacefully knowing your kids were with there dad.

Fujitales said...

Your school district sounds so great. What a fun time for your kids... and Jeff. I'm sure Jeff was the hit of the party, and not too embarrassing to your kiddos!!