Saturday, October 3, 2009

I am thankful

My prayers are heard and answered. And, in some cases immediately. This morning at 4:30 Zachary suffered a seizure. It woke him up, he calmly called to me. I know the "seizure" voice. I quickly ran to his side, administered the needed dose of medicine and waited. Typically, the seizure will stop within minutes. However, recently the seizures are taking on a new role. They are frequent and longer. Fearful that it may not stop with one syringe of medicine, I said a prayer. I prayed that he would fall asleep and his stiff arm would loosen to the point that is obvious to me the seizure is over. I prayed for a sign. Note, that a few times we have thought seizure ended only to find another begin moments later. The only sure way to know the seizure is gone is if Zach immediately falls asleep (the medicine is powerful and fast-acting.)

Only a few minutes into the prayer, a snuggly Zach fell asleep soundly. And snored loudly. Music to my ears. When my prayer was over, I checked his arm. A once tightened and twisted arm was as flimsy as a wet noodle. No confusion there. The seizure had stopped. And, I was thankful. Thankful for the quick answer and for the tender mercies we are afforded each time.

One tender mercy that i can't neglect to realize is the fact that either Jeff or myself have been with Zach during the seizures. Either by phone or in person. Last month when Jeff and I were in NYC, he had a seizure. Scary for grandma and grandpa, however we happened to be on the phone at the onset of the seizure. Jeff could walk his mom through the procedure without a minute to waste. Heavenly Father has blessed us with tender mercies along the way. Zach has always been awake and coherent for several minutes at the start of each and every seizure. He speaks clearly and appropriately. It allows me the strengthen to carry on, give the needed aid, watch the clock and comfort my baby. I talk to him, express my admiration for his courage and hold him.

Because he is awake I can tell him, you are my hero.

How can we deny that Zachary is being watched over and protected. We are blessed and thankful for answered prayers.

8 comments:

Brezack Family said...

Zachary is a hero to us ALL! We love you guys...if there is anything we can do to help, call!
Hugs to Zack, Scott is remembering him in our prayers!
much love
jill

grandma said...

The "Z man" is our Hero too. We are so thankful too for our Heavenly Father and His watchful eye on our Zachary. We love him so very much. We too, are thankful Laurie for your loving care. We love you.
Grandma and Grandp

Jeanne said...

Honey, Zach is my hero and so are you and Jeff.....You two do such a wonderful job of taking care of him and he is always in my prayers!!!! Once again when I read your post tears were running down my face!!!You write sooo well!!! Love and Kisses to you all, Mom

Rebekah said...

He really is an fun boy with an awesome spirit! Tell him I said hi and give him a big hug from me.

Kimberly and Jason Enlow said...

We all miss the powerful influence Zach was in our lives in Omaha. I am so grateful he is OK and know that Heavenly Father has his watchful eye on this SPECIAL SPIRIT you GET to call your SON! Give all the kids a hug and kiss from the Enlow's. I miss you sweet friend!

doug said...

GET IN LINE! Nobody loves Zachary more than papa!! I try not to let it show but I favor this boy too much. I know that Zach will continue to surprise us all with his many accomplishments in the future. He often breaks my heart. ZEE is a wonderful blessing for our family and we KNOW that Heavenly Father watches over him.
LOVE, papa

Unknown said...

Okay, I'm waiting... I need a new post, soon! :)

laurie said...

Oooh, so happy to see anyone is still reading my blog! Yes, I am overdue for a new post. Coming soon...I promise.