Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Performing...

Friday night our ward hosted a talent show for the children. It was a night dedicated to kids and a chance to showcase their unique talents. We watched everything from piano solos to "How to make an egg sandwich" (my personal favorite). I loved it, nothing boasts a child's self esteem more than oodles of adults "ooh-ing and ah-ing over their hard work. At first, my children decided against performing on stage (no surprise there) and instead prepare a display. Ellie made friendship bread, and Avery made a craft. Avery worked on her Chinese lanterns for several days before hand. Ellie made a delicious loaf of bread and gave out copies of the recipe. Cute ideas.

However, when we arrived Zachary was bit by the "stage bug" and decided, spur of the moment that he and Jeff should sing "little parakeet" Wow, no coaxing, pleading, begging...just desire to sing. I wasn't prepared to feel such pride. Overwhelming love for this little brave boy. He got up on stage and sang, sang loud enough for all to hear. He looked to his daddy for constant reassurance but he... performed...on stage...in front of his peers. Congrats to the Zee man for a song well sung.


While Zach occasionally throws us a curve ball like singing on stage unprepared...Ellie never does. She is terrified of the stage. She has been since her first (and only) dance recital. I couldn't imagine what it would take to ever convince Elle to freely perform again. I underestimated the power of friendship! A group of her girlfriends quickly concocted a plan to lipsync and dance together for the last number of the night. Viola. The girls shined on stage. Our beloved Ellie had done the impossible. My heart was happy, even bursting at the seams. She conquered her fear and had fun doing it. I admire her will and applaud her efforts. I can learn a lot from that girl.
A memorable night for us.

6 comments:

Fujitales said...

What a fun ward activity! I unfortunately, can't keep my kids off the stage, not that they are performing anything, just want to be front and center. I think they feel they're parents don't give them enough attention at home, they have to go stand on the stage at church!
The grass is always greener...

Jeanne said...

I'm soooo proud of the kids..... I know how scared they were and it takes great courage to go in front of a ton of people and perform!!! I wish I could have seen them!! Love you all and can't wait till you come to Denver!!! XO,Gigi

Jeanne said...

I'm soooo proud of the kids..... I know how scared they were and it takes great courage to go in front of a ton of people and perform!!! I wish I could have seen them!! Love you all and can't wait till you come to Denver!!! XO,Gigi

doug said...

Oh COME ON! LAUR: Everybody knows that your whole family is a bunch of HAMS (show me the spotlight) should be your FAMILY MOTTO! While I'm positive you didn't get that characteristic from GIGI, I wonder where else it could have come from? LOVE, papa

fabulous5fentons said...

Should be start a rock band? We've got the backup singers and the lead! I agree Zack was so awesome! and Jeff didn't do to badly either.

jennie said...

What a fun night!! Your kids did such cute and creative things. I am impressed!!