Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Papa turns 70

So we surprised him with a birthday visit.  And, when we show up so does the birthday "choas."  We orchestrated a plan and  included Gigi in on the details.  We would drive to Denver arriving late Thurday night.  Early Friday morning we would sneak in and the kids would present Papa with breakfast in bed.  The plan went off without a hitch, except Papa woke up early and Gigi made him stay in bed for quite some time.  A bit strange, thought papa. Although, he knew "something" was up, I think he was genuinely surprised that it was us. 
It was a weekend of "happy things."  We were busy doing things that make up happy. We only had a short time in Denver so we made it special.  Short and sweet but a birthday to remember.


Here we go:
Gigi greeted us at the door early in the morning.  shhh, quiet.
We decorated with birthday banners and artwork.  This one courtesy of Avery.
We prepared a scavenger hunt for Papa.  Each clue had him scamper through the house to find his birthday gifts.
We went to several  fun restaurants.  Our favorite italian restaurant one night and Asian Bistro the next.  We always teach our children to use their best manners and social graces.  Or do we?
We played in the park.  And flew kites. 


And, we celebrated.   Happy Birthday, we love you Papa.  We wish you many more happy moments.
 

3 comments:

Jeanne said...

OH MY Honey, That was soooo special to have your darling family surprise Dad on his 70th Birthday....he will always remember it as the best birthday ever!! You and your family are amazing and wonderful!!!!!XoXo

doug said...

Actually I wasn't going to tell ANYONE my actual age!! Now that it's out there on the net, I'm going to have a big challenge to tell everyone that it was just one big joke and that I'm really only 49 . . . .

It was favorite of all my many birthdays. Of course the ANDERSON family making it a surprise was the best ever. I thought something was a bit strange but I totally had NO IDEA!!!!

The breakfast in bed was quickly forgotten as I made my way through the scavenger hunt to find ALL the CLUES, luckily the kids were there to help me along . . . ELLIE is so silly, and she is going to be a big star playing the guitar. ZACH was so cool, he will be an excellent appointment to his school's student council. AVERY presented me with my favorite gift of all, "The book of Art", I have never had an actual book of artwork dedicated to me and my birthday. Personalized ARTWORK is best remembered in a hardcover book.

Funniest ever was the kite flying whereas the ONLY ONE that stayed up was the one that got away from Zee . . ha ha, We did really well considering. Gigi always has the best ideas for fun!

All of the dining out at fancy restaurants was so ironic since "dining out" has become my new hobby . . . . .

I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH! thanks again,
PAPA

Fujitales said...

Happy Birthday Doug! You don't look a day over 49! So glad you could celebrate with your family - looks like a fantastic birthday! Here's to 70 more... or at least 49!