Wednesday, August 5, 2009

a picnic with a view


In Colorado, we crave fresh air, thick trees, wildflowers and all the beauty that comes from being in the mountains. Elevation. We miss it. Corn field don't have the same draw. So, we made a day trip happen. Packed a lunch and headed up the mountain with everyone. We decided on Boulder, which proved to be ideal. We found ourselves a little picnic spot just past the University and up a windy road. Perfect. Beyond our dirt trail was an awesome look out point. The kids experienced their first " climbing" excursion on a huge cluster of rocks atop the mountain. They loved it. I climbed, took a peak, enjoyed the view...and anxiously waited for my little loves to come down. I have to admit, I was nervous. Not, that is was especially dangerous...it wasn't. I am overcautious. In all things. I come by it naturally. Mom and I both rested well when everyone was down and eating lunch. Which was delicious.
How come sandwiches taste so good on a picnic?

4 comments:

Amanda said...

You are so right! The mountains are beautiful. I am really enjoying being in Colorado. But I miss all the people in Nebraska :( Sounds like you are enjoying your fun summer!

Jeanne said...

those are amazing pictures......that day was sooo fun!!! I can't wait to see everyone tomorrow!!!! Yea!!! Love and Kisses, mom

Fujitales said...

Oh, you've made me homesick for Colorado! Don't get me wrong, Idaho has beautiful mountains, but not quite as handy as Denver. What a beautiful place, and darling kiddos. Ellie looks so cute in her glasses and Z looks so cool in his 'capris', don't tell him I called them that!!

Can't wait to see ya'll this week. Yay!

doug said...

LAUR: I thought my sandwich you made tasted awfully nice, course I think ALL my sandwiches taste awfully good. Jeff and Avery look like they are standing on the edge of a three thousand foot cliff, and it WAS pretty SCARY up there!!!

LOVE,

papa